Wednesday, September 3, 2014
Nuissance Candidate Linked to NAIA Bomb Scare
The National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) is now investigating whether a “nuisance presidential candidate” is behind the group that purportedly plotted to bomb the Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA) and other institutions to show their disgust at the “soft stance” taken by government in its territorial dispute with China.
An NBI insider, who refused to be named, made this revelation as Justice Secretary Leila de Lima yesterday confirmed a Manila Bulletin report that a group calling itself as “USAFFE” had planned to conduct the bombing campaign as early as August 25, National Heroes Day.
In an interview, the source said the arrested suspects had links with someone “who had been very vocal in airing his distaste against the Chinese by burning Chinese flags when he declared his personal war against China at the start of the Chinese incursions over the West Philippine Sea.”
The source however declined to name the man behind the USAFFE group pending an investigation.
While still searching for the personalities behind the USAFFE group, the NBI has filed charges for illegal possession of explosives and firearms against the three suspects before the Department of Justice yesterday.
Suspects Granduer Pepito Guerrero, Emmanuel San Pedro and Sonny Yohanon all went under inquest before Assistant State Prosecutor Aristotle Reyes.
In a press conference, Justice Secretary Leila de Lima said Guerrero is the self-proclaimed “general” of the “USAFFE,” the name taken from the United States Armed Forces in the Far East during World War II.
She said investigations are still ongoing to determine the size of the group and identify its members.
De Lima said the suspects may still face charges for conspiracy to commit terrorism.
Guerrero also admitted he is a member of Guardians, a fraternity composed of active and retired military and police officers and members, said De Lima.
“He admitted he is a member of the Guardians but as to whether other Guardian members are involved we do not know,” she said.
The group described itself as the “defender of the Filipino people,” De Lima said.
She added that the group believes the government is too “soft” in its stance in the territorial dispute with China.
She said initial investigations revealed that the group is frustrated by government’s soft stance against China.
“Apparently this is a misguided group,” De Lima said.
We’re checking if there are other agenda but whatever agenda, may destabilization effect yun,” she said.
According to the group’s manifesto titled “Kilusan Laban sa Pananakop,” USAFFE is composed of active and retired soldiers and policemen as well as former members of the communist New People’s Army and the secessionist Moro National Liberation Front and civilians.
The manifesto also defended their stance and actions as a way to awaken the Filipino people, the government, the Armed Forces of the Philippines and the international community on China’s aggressive action in the disputed territories.
It added that if the Aquino government failed to do its job to avert or stop China’s actions, then the group said it is within the authority of the AFP to remove the current form of government and replaced it with a one run by the military.
The manifesto also appealed to politicians, government employees, soldiers and those who it said are conniving with mining companies ran by Chinese businessmen to stop their activities.
Twitter News Recently updatedTweets by @tsismosaonline_