Monday, January 6, 2014
DPWH Sec. Singson Propose to Resign Due to Controversy
Following the footsteps of Dept. of Energy Sec. Petilla another cabinet member has offered to quit his post amid a controversy hounding his agency. Dept. of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) Sec. Singson yesterday declared that he is ready to resign if allegations of overpricing in the construction of bunkhouses for "Yolanda" victims are proven true. Singson insisted that the Php 14 million construction of the temporary shelter was not overpriced, saying the government has not even paid the contractors yet. A problem on the other hand still exists concerning the government's shelter project for the displaced typhoon victims. Singson admitted that the construction materials used in the bunkhouses were probably below the specifications set by the DPWH. Promising to tighten compliance to material standards, the public works chief said he intends to go to Tacloban, Leyte today to check the construction of the bunkhouses. Singson warned that the government won't pay the contractors until they comply with the standards set for the temporary shelter. Singson acknowledged that some contractors might probably just donate some of the units to avoid incurring additional costs in retrofitting. So far Singson said 126 of the planned 222 bunkhouses have been constructed by contractors most of whom volunteered to help in the rebuilding efforts.
Twitter News Recently updatedTweets by @tsismosaonline_