Tuesday, January 7, 2014
Dept. of Health Presses Panic Due to Measles Outbreak
With hundreds of patients now infected measles in Metro Manila,the Dept. of Health (DOH) announced yesterday that it will hold an emergency meeting today to discuss measures to stop the spread of the contagious disease. DOH Asec. Tayag said they will meet today at the DOH-NCR office in Mandaluyong City to deliberate on possible strategies for an effective measles vaccination drive in the affected areas. Tayag who also heads the National Epidemiology Center (NEC) said there is now a growing need for a door-to-door vaccination drive after DOH recorded a surge in the number of measles cases last year with 1,724 cases. This was much higher compared to the 1,536 measles cases in 2012. Majority or 744 of these incidents were found in the cities of Manila, Sta. Mesa, Caloocan, Las Pinas, Malabon, Muntinlupa, Navotas, Paranaque, Taguig and Valenzuela at the National Capital Region. The cases have promoted DOH to declare a measles outbreak in some parts of Metro Manila. Tayag also called on residents to voluntarily avail themselves of the government's free measles vaccines to prevent the spread of the infectious airborne disease. He said people who are most at risk against the disease include pregnant mothers immuno-compromised individuals and newborn babies.
Twitter News Recently updatedTweets by @tsismosaonline_